February 10, 2008

New Vista Media Center Plugin – MyNetflix (beta)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Anthony Park @ 3:08 pm

I’ve kept this pretty quiet, but I’ve been working on a new Media Center plugin for a little while now. It is now ready for beta testing, and I’ve decided to run a public beta for this one.

MyNetflix features

• View your Netflix queue
  • Browse movies by genre, top 100, new titles, etc.
  • View your history and recommendations
  • Add movies to your queue
  • Remove movies from your queue
  • Move movies to the top of your queue
  • Browse “watch now” movies
  • Play “watch now” movies

Public Beta Program
The public beta version of MyNetflix can be downloaded from my Software page. Please send any feedback you might have about this version to mynetflix@anpark.com, or use my Feedback Page.

Public Beta Update – 02/10/2008 @ 8:35P MST
I got some very good initial feedback from a few people and apparently there were problems with UAC both during the running of the configuration application and the running of the plugin. I have updated the version on the Software page to resolve these issues. I’m going to try not to make this thing too much of a moving target for beta testers, so I probably won’t do another build for at least a few days unless I find something major. In the meantime, please keep the feedback coming!

Public Beta Update 2 – 02/11/2008 @ 9:22P MST
There was a problem with the previously posted version that occurred in some cases during the configuration. An error: “System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” would occur when launching the configuration application. Since this was affecting quite a few people, I fixed the issue and did another build. I overwrote the previous version on my Software page with this new version. If you experienced the issue and did not get around it, please download the new version.

Screenshots

Browsing your queue

Movie Details (in queue)

Browsing genres

Browsing genres

Movie Details (not in queue)

Browsing “Watch Now” movies

Browsing “Watch Now” movies

Movie Details (Watch Now)

About

tags: Media Center, MVP, MyNetflix

126 Comments

1. What an excellent idea! Found this via Engadget. I’m installing it right now, and I’ll send you any helpful feedback that I can.

Comment by Blake — February 11, 2008 @ 6:45 am

2. I’m guessing this won’t run via an XBox 360 Extender right?

Comment by Roman — February 11, 2008 @ 7:22 am

3. Great plugin! I have been looking for something like this. The only critique I can give is when posting a screen title like “movie details” or “my netflix” is to capitalize them. Like “Movie Details” or “My Netflix”. But besides that, awsome plugin!

Comment by Michael LaCroix — February 11, 2008 @ 7:23 am

4. Hey great idea dude! To bad it takes a 3rd person to develop such an application though to work thru Vista Media Center though. But good idea I hope it really works even though it is a beta version. :) I was hoping there might be an app to run thru Media Center to watch the movies and shows via Media center and it does look great! keep up the good work.

Comment by Neal — February 11, 2008 @ 7:25 am

5. Cool but will this work for people outside the states or are we as always left with the old dirty blockbuster joint.

Comment by Copenhagen — February 11, 2008 @ 7:37 am

6. Yes, MyNetflix will work on the Xbox 360 extender. The only feature that does not work on the extender yet is the “watch now” feature.

Comment by Anthony Park — February 11, 2008 @ 8:01 am

7. So are you saying the watch now feature will be added to the xbox extender soon? cause i love this app but was disappointed to find out that it doesnt work on it yet. But keep up the great work

Comment by Chad Nelson — February 11, 2008 @ 8:25 am

8. You really have something here man. You will be a millionaire overnight though if you could get the watch now feature to work on the xbox360 extender.

Comment by Bob — February 11, 2008 @ 8:28 am

9. Nice job! Netflix should be sending you a nice check for this effort!!!

Comment by TF — February 11, 2008 @ 9:18 am

10. does this plugin (or any plugin for that matter) work on MS Windows XP Media Center?

Comment by JK — February 11, 2008 @ 9:40 am

11. Great plug-in! Exactly what I was looking for. However, it would be great if watch now movies automatically played in fullscreen.

Comment by Emily — February 11, 2008 @ 11:12 am

12. dude — this is awesome. You should try to sell this to MSFT — I’m sure they would be interested. Or maybe somebody there will give you info on getting the DRM working. It’s in thier interests to do so — this is a killer app!

Comment by Ax — February 11, 2008 @ 11:23 am

13. Cool idea, can’t wait to get home and try this out! Not having to switch out of Vista Media Center every time I want to stream a Netflix movie will be great– can finally put the Gyration mouse away.

Comment by Brian — February 11, 2008 @ 11:52 am

14. Hi Anthony,

this is a gr8 plugin very useful one.
    Just one suggestion is ther anyway to link get the movie review from IMDB.com and display it along with its movie ratings ?

Thanks

Anil

Comment by Anil — February 11, 2008 @ 11:52 am

15. Since it works with the 360 extender, will it work on Media Player 11 for WinXP Pro?

Comment by Wade Courtney — February 11, 2008 @ 12:33 pm

16. Wow, what a great idea. Now I wish I had Vista Media Center :(

Comment by Ryan — February 11, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

17. Great Job! 360 extender support would be the golden ticket for me. I don’t have a PC directly connected to my TV.

Comment by Justin Y. — February 11, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

18. Thank you so much for finally making this a reality. This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for!

Comment by Tim — February 11, 2008 @ 1:36 pm

19. Very cool. Agree that I’d love to see “watch now” work for XBox 360 extenders though as XBox 360 extenders are the primary way I consume media in my home. Any thoughts or color on when we might see “watch now” for extenders?

Comment by Thomas Hawk — February 11, 2008 @ 3:36 pm

20. I don’t see where I can access “My Netflix” from within the “start” page of media center. I would have expected it to either be an item in the “TV + Movies” submenu or a new submenu alltogether. I was able to open it up from the start menu entry “Programs->MyNetflix->MyNetflix” but I hope I don’t have to launch it this way all the time.

Once I get that figured out, all I have left to do is beg you to get the streaming Netflix movies through a media center extender working.

Lastly, please get rid of the sound that plays on every page load of this website — quiet annoying.

Comment by Rob Meyer — February 11, 2008 @ 3:56 pm

21. watch now functionality with xbox360 extender and this would be a KILLER app!

Comment by dan — February 11, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

22. Thanks for working for free. See if you can sell some zunes while your at it.

Comment by Bill — February 11, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

23. Does this work with Apple TV or on my linux box?

Comment by Ryan — February 11, 2008 @ 5:14 pm

24. Watch Now sometimes works on 360. It does start the movie and such, but I get the pesky “Rights Acquisition” message, because I have watched from 4 different computers. But, it does start the process of loading the movie and such

Comment by Brian — February 11, 2008 @ 5:55 pm

25. Beautiful! What are the chances of a WinXP MCE2005 plug-in? Thanks for your hard work.

Comment by jonatj — February 11, 2008 @ 5:57 pm

26. Will this work with Home Server?

Comment by D — February 11, 2008 @ 6:05 pm

27. Very awesome software! Thanks for your efforts and hard work. I was able to install the app, but I receive the following error when trying to connect:

MYNETFLIX – Unable to load queue: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

Any ideas? Can’t wait to try this out. :D

Phillip

Comment by Phillip M. — February 11, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

28. Great job on this plugin. I just switched from blockbuster to netflix and if I hadn’t done it already, this would have sealed the deal. If only the remote could click the fullsize window icon on the player it would be absolutely perfect. (still pretty dang close to perfect). I hope the Netflix doesn’t break this when they switch to silverlight. Thanks for the hard work!!!

Comment by Joe Calamita — February 11, 2008 @ 6:51 pm

29. Wow man u rock this is great work u are a Genius to be remembered

Comment by Emmanuel Ceballos — February 11, 2008 @ 7:07 pm

30. fantastic app, thank you.

Comment by Nestor — February 11, 2008 @ 7:09 pm

31. Are you planning to make one for the Windows XP Media Center. Many of us are not planning to upgrade to vista for quite a while.

Comment by Kamarat McWashington — February 11, 2008 @ 7:32 pm

32. Another vote for streaming on the xbox 360 – it would make some people buy a 360. What a great alternative to the apple tv – unlimited streaming movies to your tv on a great gaming system. Please oh please say you’re working on it!!

Comment by mike — February 11, 2008 @ 7:36 pm

33. Does anyone know if this will help us view our Netflix movies on our Playstation 3?

Comment by Hugo — February 11, 2008 @ 7:55 pm

34. I kid you not, I was looking for this exact thing less than 3 days ago!!!! I am hoping it works with my XBOX 360 as a Media Center Extender. So far the MCE browser seems to work okay.

THANKS A TON!
    Nathan Zaugg

Comment by Nathan Zaugg — February 11, 2008 @ 8:07 pm

35. This is brilliant, I love it.

But I second the request to enable watch now automatically in full screen rather than with all the controls along the bottom.

Again, excellent work, this is the best add on to MC I’ve seen in a long time.

Comment by Guy — February 11, 2008 @ 8:50 pm

36. Anthony:

Wow… thank you, it’s a fantastic plug-in.
    I know there are significant issues with streaming video to an XBOX 360 Media Center Extender (Yay, DRM!), but Media Center Extenders are ultimately “trusted” devices.

My guess is that if someone on the technical / developer team at Netflix catches wind of this they may say one of two things:

1) We’re already working on this, nice work.
    2) We want to do this. Why haven’t we done this?

Thanks! (Crosses fingers but doesn’t hold out too much hope for Media Center Extender “Play Now” functionality, as many above do)

Comment by David Arias — February 11, 2008 @ 9:04 pm

37. How about Playstation 3 media extender. It works wonderfully with Windows Media Player.

Comment by Roy Bishop — February 11, 2008 @ 10:00 pm

38. #36 – I’m afraid it’s not quite the consumer friendly business you think. They absolutely could make a plugin for MC in a heartbeat. They probably already have. The lack of an official one being around is political, not technical. Why give a huge boost to a Microsoft product for free when LG or [insert company name] would pay for exclusive rights to a set top box. Or at the very least form a strategic partnership. Wall Street’s a bitch.

#2,6,8,17,15,19,21,24,32,34 – This still plays movies in Internet Explorer. That means no 360 Extender.

#25 – Someone else is working on a plugin for MCE 2005. Check The Green Button forum. This one is Vista-only and will never work with MCE 2005.

Comment by SeanO — February 11, 2008 @ 10:19 pm

39. Right, no extender support for this version. This version relies on the Netflix player to play the movies, which will not stream over the extender session. Media Center will only stream video correctly to the extender if it is played through the Media Center API.

I am working on a different approach to do the video streaming which will allow it to be played over the extender, but I have a few issues to work out with it. No promises at this point…

Comment by Anthony Park — February 11, 2008 @ 10:31 pm

40. Anthony, really great! Let me echo #20′s question — is there a way for this to be added to MC’s main menu, instead of a separate launch?

Comment by Matt — February 12, 2008 @ 12:08 am

41. #20, #40: There is a button inside of Media Center. You have to navigate to the Online Media | Program Library section. MyNetflix should show up in there on both the Media Center PC and on the extender.

I didn’t add a button to the main strip inside of Media Center because there can only be one in certain categories. Most people have “My Movies” installed in the TV & Movies section (including me), which means if MyNetflix was registered there it would hijak the My Movies spot. I plan on making this an option during the install, or maybe even a step you can easily perform later in the config utility. If you are interested in doing this yourself, you can perform the following steps:

1. Open a command-prompt (make sure to run as administrator)
    2. Run the following commands to unregister MyNetflix in Media Center:
    a. cd \Program Files\ANPARK\MyNetflix
    b. \windows\ehome\RegisterMCEApp.exe /u /allusers MyNetflix.xml
    3. Next, edit the MyNetflix.xml file. There is a line commented out that says Services\Movies. Uncomment this line. If you want to register in the Videos section instead of “TV & Movies”, change to Services\Videos
    4. Run the following commands from the same command prompt
    a. \windows\ehome\RegisterMCEApp.exe /allusers MyNetflix.xml

Comment by Anthony Park — February 12, 2008 @ 7:37 am

42. Nice work on a great plugin! I am having a consistent problem using a Media Center remote to select items once I open your app. The arrow buttons work fine for navigating everything, and the select button works when selecting menu items like ‘queue’ and ‘watch now’. However, when I highlight a specific movie title in my queue or elsewhere, the select button on the remote won’t actually select the title. I have to use my mouse to select it. This happens about 95% of the time. Sometimes I can select the title with the remote, but not in any consistent way. I am running the previous version 2 beta. I will uninstall and reinstall the latest version tonight and give it another shot. Thanks for the great effort.

Comment by Mike — February 12, 2008 @ 9:38 am

43. Great MCE add on.

Runs great in windowed mode, however when I go full screen it drops frames.

When I run netflix via Internet Explorer without Media Center on my MCE PC, it runs just fine, no dropped frames.

So it seems running it full screen from within Media Center is causing the issue.

Its on a dual core system with 2 gb ram, so no performance issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment by rugerx — February 12, 2008 @ 9:50 am

44. I am completely astounded by how well this works. You did a fantastic job of integrating everything so seemlessly and with such style. Plus it works straight out of the tubes!

I’ve only just installed, but I am curious if there is a technical issue with having the Media Center remote issue commands (play, pause, full screen, etc.) to the Watch Immediately player? If such a feat were possible I think you should be getting a big fat check from Netflix Corporate!

Comment by Brian — February 12, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

45. Thanks man! As soon as I found this plugin I opened a Netflix account. I’d been “thinking about it” for quite some time, and this is exactly the push I needed. Nice work indeed.

Netflix owes you one, too…

Comment by whichonespink — February 12, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

46. Me and several others have noticed that when in fullscreen, playback is exceptionally jerky (only the case w/ the plugin – not when viewing fullscreen with IE). Seems related to Nvidia cards and the latest drivers.

Comment by SeanO — February 12, 2008 @ 9:26 pm

47. I can also confirm as SeanO did that I have very slow playback speeds using the plugin. My system is an AMD x2 4800+ with a Nvidia 8500gt. I tried the 3 last wqhl drivers and all still give me stuttering. If I simply just play the movies using IE its smooth in fullscreen. Let me know if you need some logs and I will provide them. I know its only BETA and look forward to the final product. Keep up the great work.

Comment by Rick — February 12, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

48. I’d return as a netflix customer if I could stream to my 360… oh gosh they’d probably get a lot of customers!

Comment by Hawke — February 13, 2008 @ 10:33 am

49. thank you for the great plugin.
    I have problem with lunching full screen (opened “under”). Problem with performance comparable with browser lunch. Search options is a must if possible.

Comment by Sergej — February 13, 2008 @ 12:14 pm

50. Recommendations
    1. Show what is “at home”
    2. The ability to toggle between profiles. (I use two)
    3. list view instead of DVD covers (I have slow “high speed” internet.)
    4. Ability to enter the netflix password on the screen per use (more of a nice to have to keep the kids from rearranging the queue)

Great effort. A plug in I would definitely donate, too,

Thank you.

Comment by jedipunk — February 13, 2008 @ 12:57 pm

51. I think it works great. I have watched 2 movies and a few episodes of the office using it. The only issues I have had are

1. For the movie to start in full screen mode rather than having to click the button with my mouse. Also the ability to pause with the remote.
    2. I also have an issue someone above mentioned with the remote not selecting movies sometimes. I keep pushing the button and eventually it will take it. But sometimes I might hit it 10 or 15 times before it works.

Comment by Shawn — February 13, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

52. Will this work on MCE 2005 w/rollup 2. Very much interested in beta testing

Comment by annonymous — February 13, 2008 @ 7:56 pm

53. great post. i liked it…

Comment by Philippine Goji Juice — February 14, 2008 @ 4:34 am

54. Very nice work. Any plans to try make Watch Now work on the Extenders. There is certainly market to buy it. Thanks for making fun tools. Daniel

Comment by Daniel Grant — February 15, 2008 @ 9:18 pm

55. Terrific program. Thanks for writing it! I echo the other comments about launching the player in full-screen mode. That would be much better if you can pull it off. My “My Netflix” icon initially showed in the “Online Media” “Program Library” section but now is missing. THe only way I can load the program is thru my start menu.

1. Not sure how this happened. Perhaps another installed plugin bounced MyNetflix?
    2. How do I get it back there?

Thanks!

Comment by Greg — February 16, 2008 @ 5:24 am

56. Resolved the full screen jerkiness issue, I turned off AERO, no longer an issue.

Any way to add a search function so we can search browse now in MCE?

AWESOME PLUGIN.

Comment by rugerx — February 16, 2008 @ 6:44 pm

57. Wow! I would definitely sign up for netflix if they/you figured out how to stream (HD) to the XBOX 360! The xbox 360 marketplace for video content is weak and the microsoft points thing is overly complicated, plus you have to download the whole movie first which takes quite a long time for HD. HD streaming from netflix would be awesome. Keep up the great work!

Best,

Phil

Comment by PDS — February 17, 2008 @ 11:05 am

58. Thank You!

Comment by Paul S. — February 19, 2008 @ 8:21 pm

59. Please add Xbox 360 support!!!

Comment by Bob — February 23, 2008 @ 10:07 am

60. Will there be a version of the tool for XP Media Center 2005?

Comment by Patrick Pilz — February 23, 2008 @ 5:09 pm

61. Great Job! Thanks for your hard work.

Comment by Daniel J — February 23, 2008 @ 10:29 pm

62. Great Work

Just 2 things i can see that would be great to have

- Search (really important)
    - Community

Comment by Ross — February 26, 2008 @ 5:53 am

63. This is great! I only there was a way to search through the movies in addition to browsing.

Good Stuff!

Comment by Ron F. — February 26, 2008 @ 7:04 am

64. This is a very nice product. If you could the watch now on a media extender, then it would be perfect! Great job

Comment by Eddie — February 27, 2008 @ 5:45 am

65. Hey – this is an awesome gadget. I just posted in my blog a little “How-To” for installing it. Though it is so easy who needs directions?

Comment by Gmedia — February 29, 2008 @ 12:21 pm

66. Omg. I was just thinking of this when I hooked up my extender to xbox 360. But what good is it for me if I can’t watch now. I can browse my movies on my pc. watching on my tv is what i really want. please work this out…

Comment by Frank M — February 29, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

67. This is a great plugin! Its great to be able to just use the remote to access watch now movies. One limitation appears to be that it defaults to showing the first episode of a television series. It would be great if there were a page to allow us to select an episode when we choose something from the “television” genre.
    Playback was great for my setup, no jerkiness and I appreciated the auto-fullscreen.
    Again, great plugin, my family is super impressed with me (as yours should be with you).

Comment by Irene — March 1, 2008 @ 1:59 am

68. So far so good! May I suggest that a desktop icon is made during installation? It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get it to work! Yes, I am blond. I thought you had to actually open Media Center to access MyNetflix. BIG THANKS!

Comment by Heather — March 3, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

69. I’m getting the below message just after the movie starts to play running the plugin in Vista Ultimate 32 bit Media Center.

Playing the same movie via web browser works fine.

Is there a log file I can check and/or temp file I can try deleting?

thanks,

-Don

Cannot Play Video

Windows Media Center cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file does not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored offline.

Comment by Don Lindbergh — March 7, 2008 @ 10:09 am

70. Did Irene (March 1, 2008 @ 1:59 am) say that there is an ‘auto-full screen’ feature? If so how do I have it enabled?

Comment by louis — March 9, 2008 @ 9:57 am

71. Yes, there is an “auto-full screen” feature. This feature was added in version 2.1. You can download the latest version from my software page.

Comment by Anthony Park — March 9, 2008 @ 10:28 am

72. I will be watching this site in the future… There is a problem with users that ATI card’s right now who have 2 (20″ montiors) the netflix thinks that it is streaming to a computer that is HD and netflix plugin crap’s out. I have told AMD about this and they have confirmed the bug with them.

Comment by Pedro — March 11, 2008 @ 6:14 am

73. I just wanted to chime in with my thanks for this great plugin. I was trying to get a better image to show up in the Program Library for the App, wanted to use the regular red Netflix logo.

I found that if you go into the ehome directory there is a folder for images and all the other Program Library images (like the games and stuff) are there as well as the default MyNetflix image. I simply copied and pasted whatever image I wanted to use there, and renamed it exactly what the default image was named, and now in Media Center I get a nice red Netflix logo to launch the application.

Comment by Jdubbs — March 11, 2008 @ 9:11 am

74. A great product. A Search feature would be freaking awesome!

Comment by Austin — March 12, 2008 @ 3:36 am

75. Anthony,
    I am very new to Media Center and netflix. Will this work to stream HD movies to my xbox from netflix?

Comment by Steve — March 12, 2008 @ 7:47 am

76. Anthony, terrific plug-in. You single handedly validated my decision to get a slim-line Dell for my new HD TV instead of XBox or a cable subscription. Now I have one of the best movie channels out there.

I’m curious if you’ve been able to replicate problems with #20, #40 and #55 — like them my icon never appeared in Program Library. The only icon there is a blank one that leads to “more tv.”

One idea would be to stick a blue play button on the corner of any movie in Queue/Top 25/100/New/etc. that is available to play instantly. Would that bog the system down too much?

Thanks again Anthony, most amazing piece of software!

Comment by James — March 12, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

77. Excellent job on this plugin! Seems to be working great, but I encountered a problem playing episodes from the History Channel such as a Modern Marvels episode where there is a short “commercial” before the actual episode. It reaches the end of the “commercial” and the loops back to the beginning of it. Also, if you were in the middle of an episode, it does not resume where you left off, but starts at the beginning again.

Comment by John S. — March 13, 2008 @ 10:17 am

78. I’d pay if it streamed to the 360. There are over 9 million 360′s in the United States… damn.

Comment by Buck F1tches — March 13, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

79. Thanks for the awesome plugin. Have you considered coding in an option to allow the user to choose the bitrate of the Watch it Now movies? My connection is fast, but not fast enough to get the full DVD quality. Personally, I’d rather wait a few minutes and have better quality.

Comment by Brian — March 16, 2008 @ 9:23 am

80. Great Plugin!! I’ve been using a good bit since you added the automatic switch to full screen. However, today I noticed after one movie played at around noon, and started another after that, Netlfix added this second popup after the player is about ready to play the movie. It’s a Media Usage dialog box, which I then had to go the keyboard to type in my Netflix ID and password again. Hmmmmm, I wonder why Netflix added this today?
    I tried several plays and they all do the same thing now.

Comment by Gregory — March 16, 2008 @ 12:10 pm

81. Hi Anthony,

Great plugin! If only more people contributed such work to MCE it would be so much better… E.g. I’m still waiting for a SlingBox plugin.

Anyway, just wanted to ask if it’s possible to have MyNetFlix appear in the Movies menu. At present I have to go to Programs and select it from the many that are in there. I also use My Movies which does appear under the Movies SubMenu…

Thanks and keep up the great work!

BTW, I don’t see a ‘donate’ button anywhere on your site!

Comment by Andrew — March 17, 2008 @ 2:33 pm

82. Anthony great work!
    Beta is working fine here…not working on Linksys extenders as you know. Full screen mode is great and would be nice to blank screen when acessing Netflix site for that 1 sec or 2.
    Anthony I got to hand it you…you made a hit!

Any way to use the MCE remote info button to popup meta data for onscreen movie info?

Tommy

Comment by Tommy — March 22, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

83. can someone help me how and where i install vista mc plugins.
    i cant seem to find installation guide.

thanx

Comment by RoN — March 23, 2008 @ 2:47 am

84. Will this app work with Windows XP running windows media player 11? Will I be able to stream HD movies to my xbox 360?

Comment by Mark — March 24, 2008 @ 10:36 am

85. I would pay $10-30 for this if it worked on the xbox 360 – way to go so far. You get this up in beta form and it works for the 360 I will donate :)

Comment by mr — March 24, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

86. great work. this plugin looks awesome. i haven’t tested it yet. but it looks rad!

Comment by michael lambie — March 27, 2008 @ 3:32 pm

87. Will the Watch Now feature work with a Media Extender Extender like the D-Link DSM-750?

Comment by Chris — April 12, 2008 @ 8:19 am

88. This is Freaking Awesome. Need it to get the MCX support. You need to partner up with netflix on this one. I would deff get back on netflix if it worked with MCX.

Comment by Sean — April 22, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

89. really great app, my family and I thank you. it works great.

Some features I would like:
    - sorting (title-alphabetical) of the movies, for instance when you select a genre in the “watch now” setting. What is the order they are in now?

- when you are doing a search it is great how it shows netflix’s library (?) on the far right, but it would be nice if it could be filtered by “watch now” movies if “search watch now” is checked.

- also it would be nice if the “search watch now” setting could be retained between sessions.

Comment by Victor — April 24, 2008 @ 2:33 pm

90. I have the same issue as #55. The icon used to be there now it’s gone! Any idea what happened or how I fix it

Comment by Mike s — May 10, 2008 @ 10:17 am

91. Great plugin! Again, just echoing that support for watch now on an extender (xbox 360 primarily) would be really nice!

Comment by Outlet — May 15, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

92. Hi Anthony, your MyNetflix plugin single handedly makes my internet-computer-TV experience worth while. Thanks for the great free software. Can you point me to other useful plugins? I’m interested in something that aggregates TV and formats the video for media center. The kinds of shows I’m interested in are LOST (ABC) and Frontline (PBS) and others. Even though they post those programs on their web sites you have to use their specialized viewers. Those viewers don’t really work on a low res, CRT television (I’m too poor to buy an HDTV). But movies streamed from Netflix through your software work great. So I’m guessing there’s not a technical problem. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comment by Kirk — May 16, 2008 @ 12:58 pm

93. Does the Roku box available now from Netflix mean that they probably won’t ever allow use of the XBox 360 extender? That would be a shame…

Comment by Steve — May 21, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

94. This is amazing! I finally stopped putting up with my Comcast DVR and bought a Media Center PC. Windows Media Center is nice, but this takes it to the next level. I’ve actually resumed my canceled Netflix subscription because of your plug in.

Great work!

Comment by Bill — May 21, 2008 @ 7:08 pm

95. Great app!!
    It would be nice if the netflix rating filter worked in the plugin.

Comment by Kurt Myrmel — May 27, 2008 @ 4:05 pm

96. Very Nice!! This plug in is great. Perfetly integrates into Vista Media Center without a hitch. A few minor problems with viewing sub-categories and if i resume a movie it will play the audio as if i were watching it from the beginning and from where i resumed. Other that that a terriffic way to browse and watch movies. Great job!!Cant wait for the full release!!

Comment by Joey — June 6, 2008 @ 9:04 pm

97. well Anthony, I like what I see because this is just what the girlfriend wanted; to be able watch media from her computer .. like Netflix .. on her big screen television, only it doesn’t work with an extender!?!

as most have already said, this needs some attention. We are using a Linksys DMA2100 and it looked great until we selected that play it now movie

keep pluggin’ .. us folks out here need you!:)

Comment by Bob — June 27, 2008 @ 12:23 pm

98. now we just need netflix up in canada in an on demand fashion, anyone have a hell of alot of bandwidth to spare for proxy in the states

Comment by Brandon Grossutti — July 3, 2008 @ 2:08 pm

99. Anthony,

Thanks for taking the time to write this, my wife and I love it on our media center. Just had to give you praise as you deserve it.

Everyone else (and Anthony too – though I hate to ask for more of your time),

I’ve noticed that the movie selection has dropped to about 20 or so movies per category. I know more movies are available because I can see them on netflix’s website. To list an example, The Wiggles: Toot Toot. Our little 4 month old loves it. But it doesn’t show anymore. If anyone has a clue, could you make a post? Thanks!

Thanks again, Anthony!

Comment by Jason Robinson — July 3, 2008 @ 5:10 pm

100. does anyone know if this will work on the 64 bit version of Vista? i am about to setup a new pc for the living room and want to make sure it works with 64 bit before i install it.

Comment by Mike Reynaga — August 15, 2008 @ 1:39 pm

101. To the last comment, yes, it works in 64 bit Vista.

For some reason the Netflix player won’t work in IE anymore (my computer crashed while I was watching a movie!), so I browsed the internet until I came across this little gem.

Thanks a mill for putting this up for everyone to use and enjoy. I will most definitely recommend it to anyone I know using Netflix!!

Seriously, sell this to Netflix or MSFT!

Comment by Mary — October 27, 2008 @ 8:15 pm

102. Not realizing it would break this, I opted in to the Silverlight option so that I could watch on my Mac… Any chance of an update to address this?

Thanks!

Comment by Tom — November 15, 2008 @ 7:45 pm

103. Okay, forget I said that… I’m an idiot :) thanks for the great product!

Comment by Tom — November 15, 2008 @ 7:55 pm

104. Ahh, and apparently an update has come out since I last installed :) I updated from 2.2.17 to 2.2.18 and all is well.

Comment by Gabe Knuth — November 22, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

105. One of the best Plugins EVER! I absolutely love it! I’ll be donating shortly as this is well worth every penny! Keep up the great work.

Comment by Will — November 26, 2008 @ 11:28 am

106. Hello, I’d like to say thank you for developing the API. I have set up on my pc and it works flawlessly. I just happened to have the Linksys Media Center Extender (DMA-2200)and thought that I might be able to use my existing device to stream the “Watch Now” movies to my television without having to purchase a device that is recomended by Netflix. I set it all up, however, when I selected the watch now feature, there was a message that indicated that streaming could not occured throught the Extender. My question is whether I missed something with the setup or is it not possible at this time to stream the movies trough my Linksys device?

Thank You! for your anticipated response.

Comment by George — December 26, 2008 @ 1:37 am

107. Great plugin, thanks for developing and sharing.
    However I cannot find a way to play the video in full screen mode. The moment I click Full Screen button the video stops.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I guess I am missing something real simple.

Comment by Alex — December 28, 2008 @ 3:35 pm

108. This is a great idea…I recently bought a Dell Hybrid as a HTPC and I am pretty glad that I stumbled upon this…

All the very best.

Comment by RC — February 8, 2009 @ 12:31 pm

109. Great work on this…. On initial setup had issues with the NetFlix player loading. After checking out some other forums I came across the same issue I was having. The problem was with a setting in “Media Player”. To correct the problem you need to go into “Windows Media Player” Go to > Options > Player > check the box called ” Connect To The Internet (Overrides Other Commands)” Once I had changed the setting in Media Player the NetFlix player worked perfectly.

Equipment: HTPC – Running Vista Ultimate 32 / Wireless

Regards,
    Steve

Comment by Steve Hansen — February 18, 2009 @ 9:48 am

110. Since the update of Netflix to Silverlight technology the full screen feature no longer works properly. I have found that if you un maximize the media center from full screen to window mode then start the movie and select full screen, the movie will then play in full screen. Hope this is useful for anyone. Keep up the great work on this project. Grant

Comment by Grant — February 26, 2009 @ 9:38 pm

111. Its really really awesome, my girlfriend will love it

Comment by Zachary Langston — March 4, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

112. my girlfriend will love this!

Comment by Zachary Langston — March 4, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

113. Doesnt work for me…loads everything until i try to watch a movie then it says it cant open mynetflix. It looked great and was so hoping it would work..I have a 64 bit vista media center.

Comment by jackie — March 9, 2009 @ 3:31 am

114. I’ve used this for about a year and a half and I absolutely LOVE the integration into my media center but since the silverlight change I don’t have the smooth experiance I used to, is there any future upgrades to expect or a chance to get the source code perhaps to work on fixing the change over to silverlight?

Comment by Luke — March 21, 2009 @ 8:37 am

115. Great, great, great plugin! Working fine.

I installed the latest version last night.

I saw mention above about an auto-fullscreen feature. Currently, when I launch a Watch It Now movie, I still get the “Fullscreen” buttom at the bottom right, and the movie is at the top of the screen. When I click the “Fullscreen” button is does expand to fill the screen. Is this “auto fullscreen” feature that needs to be enabled somewhere? Or did I misunderstand how it is supposed to work?

Thanks!

Comment by Matt Nowinski — March 21, 2009 @ 8:50 am

116. oooopppsss…should have looked at the bottom of the feedback (3 posts up!). Apparently, with the rollout of the Silverlight Netflix movie plugin, this feature no longer works.

Regardless, great MCE plugin! Will be using it a lot!

Comment by Matt Nowinski — March 21, 2009 @ 10:32 am

117. my boyfriend will love it

Comment by Bruce Thorogood — March 24, 2009 @ 9:52 pm

118. [...] I was flying, I had everything set up in a matter of hours and working solid.? I installed the Netflix Streaming plugin so I could watch movies through their service on the HTPC.? I installed WebGuide so that I could [...]

Pingback by Windows Vista Media Center TV Pack 2008 and WebGuide | Eat a Banana Through a Glory Hole — April 23, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

119. Silverlight kills auto full screen :(

Comment by NitDawg — May 2, 2009 @ 8:06 am

120. This is by far one of the best plugins I’ve seen for MCE. I do like the suggestion above that mentioned starting it full screen mode, but even without that, simply amazing. The only real issue here is I don’t see a donate section on your website.

Comment by Cory — May 20, 2009 @ 8:09 am

121. [...] are other options for accessing Netflix on Windows Media Center, such as MyNetflixPlugin and vmNetflix, but I would much rather use the plug-in made by [...]

Pingback by I broke up w/ Blockbuster and went back to Netflix… » Nikki Rose Ty — June 15, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

122. [...] are other options for accessing Netflix on Windows Media Center, such as MyNetflixPlugin and vmNetflix. I wish you all the luck that I didn’t [...]

Pingback by Nikki Rose Ty » Broke up with Blockbuster, hooking up with Netflix — June 19, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

123. Hi – Love the idea of Netflicks plugin in VMC, but have a question on how to adjust color/contrast/gamma independent of other inputs? i.e. I have HDTV and DVD looking fantastic, but the Netflicks picture looks awful – basically unwatchable. Blacks are crushed and colors are too saturated. Is there a separate config for the Silverlight player in use? Any direction you can provides will be useful.

regards

Bill Mead

Comment by Bill Mead — June 19, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

124. hey dude this is such a great idea, im gonna download it right now.!

Comment by Ober — July 20, 2009 @ 1:19 am

125. Will this work with Samgung’s media center extender, MR-00EA1?

I just installed that extender yesterday. While it shows the PC’s Media Center ‘NetFlix’ logo on the (Samsung, 2009 model, series ’9′) LCD Monitor/TV screen, when one clicks that logo one is informed: ‘… not availabe thru media center extenders.’

Thank for your insight.
    John

Comment by John — September 11, 2009 @ 3:45 am

126. [...] 2. MyNetflix Windows Media Center Plugin [...]

Pingback by List of Windows Media Center Plugin (WMC ) - b2o Technology Blog — December 18, 2009 @ 6:37 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.