February 26, 2008

New Release: MyNetflix v2.1 Beta

Filed under: Uncategorized — Anthony Park @ 9:27 pm

I have completed development on the next version of MyNetflix (v2.1). This new version has been in private beta for about a week, and now it is ready for public beta. One of the features you will probably be most interested in is the ability to play WatchNow movies in full screen, and use the remote control for pause/resume commands.

Changes since version 2.0 beta
Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

Public Beta Program
The public beta version of MyNetflix 2.1 can be downloaded from my Software page. Please send any feedback you might have about this version to mynetflix@anpark.com, or use my Feedback Page.

Public Beta Update – 02/28/2008 @ 8:58P MST
I just posted a new version of MyNetflix which resolves two issues. The first issue was that the “Test” button in the configuration app was not working. This has been fixed. The second issue was that with accounts that did not have WatchNow capabilities, MyNetflix would show the watchnow features and display an error if they were used. The configuration application now correctly tests for this, and MyNetflix will not show the watchnow categories if the feature is not enabled on your account. Thanks for the great feedback so far, and keep it coming!

Public Beta Update – 03/01/2008 @ 9:43A MST
It looks like Netflix upgraded their website last night, and the Episode list in MyNetflix stopped working. Unfortunately, this is simply one of the risks that comes with parsing the watchnow data from their web pages. I have corrected this issue and posted a new version of MyNetflix on my software page. Thanks!

Screenshots

Browsing your queue

Movie Details (in queue)

Browsing genres

Browsing genres

Movie Details (not in queue)

Browsing “Watch Now” movies

Browsing “Watch Now” movies

Movie Details (Watch Now)

Select Episode (Watch Now)

About

tags: Media Center, MVP, MyNetflix

13 Comments

1. I’m not a current NetFlix user, but I do have an XBox 360 hooked up as an extender to my Vista Ultimate pc. Does “Watch Now” feature mean I can, from the 360, stream the movies right from the box and watch them on the TV connected to the 360? If so, given that Netflix offers an unlimited streaming plan, this is awesome!

Comment by Michael C. Neel — February 27, 2008 @ 12:26 pm

2. WoW. Awesome upgrade. So far it looks and acts great!!

Comment by Shawn — February 27, 2008 @ 5:20 pm

3. Nice improvement over 2.0 beta. This is an awesome plug-in. I will definitely make a donation to this project.

A couple of questions:

1. It seems the removal of the 3rdparty libraries has altered the look and feel a bit. No impact on the functionality. But a definite impact on the appearance of the buttons. Any plans to make the buttons more VMC like in future releases?

2. Any plans to add a title search function for watchitnow?

Again, this is shaping up to be one of the best (if not the best) plug-ins for VMC!

Comment by Steve — February 28, 2008 @ 12:45 pm

4. Good stuff. Glad to see your still at work on this. If you can get it to work on the xbox 360 your status will be legendary.

Comment by Tony D. — February 28, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

5. Great plugin… it’s even better with this new beta! Thanks a lot.

Michael, no, the watch now streaming will not work with the 360 or any extender. However, all of the other features work just fine on extenders.

Comment by Zack Mahdavi — February 28, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

6. Wow, what an upgrade the 2.1 has been on my system. I no longer have any stuttering with my amd x2 4800+ nvidia 8500gt system. Plus the added support of using the remote….great program

Comment by Rick — February 28, 2008 @ 4:53 pm

7. Great job on the new version Anthony! This really makes it usable inside Media Center. I love it!

Comment by Rob — February 29, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

8. This seals the deal… I’m building myself a new HTPC in the coming weeks. Anthony, you’re the man. BTW nice work on the dressers, etc.

Comment by Paul — February 29, 2008 @ 2:34 pm

9. Awesome upgrade. Was hoping you would include full screen support.

Comment by andy brudtkuhl — February 29, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

10. This thing works great, thanks for all the hard work.

Comment by Andy — March 2, 2008 @ 7:24 pm

11. I love this plugin. Thank you.
    As I don’t have cable, Netflix is my main reason for TV. And I use this plugin at least once a night.

I have noticed a big design flaw.
    There needs to be a search feature. Something where I enter text (via the remote SMS-style, or Tivo-like letters on the left, navigate to a letter, press enter) and get search results back.
    I would suggest two searches. One of all of Netflix. And one of WatchNow.

Also, it would be nice if I could have the movies displayed in alphabetical order (except the WatchNow New category).
    Sorting by rating would be an interesting option too (but harder to implement).

And finally, the History category only shows my Queue history, not my WatchNow history (which with this plugin is more important). Maybe separate histories?

Anyhow, fantastic plugin.

Comment by EvilDave — March 5, 2008 @ 2:27 am

12. I love this plugin. Thank you.

I have noticed a big design flaw.
    I would suggest two searches. One of all of Netflix. And one of WatchNow.

Sorting by rating would be an interesting option too (but harder to implement).

Anyhow, fantastic plugin.

Oddly enough, the first version of this comment only appears on the PC in which I wrote it. I did give a bogus email address that time, but still the stealth deletion of the comment is not cool.

Comment by EvilDave — March 5, 2008 @ 9:12 pm

13. Tivo plugin? You would so rock!!! I’d even pay for it!

Comment by Sherry — April 3, 2008 @ 3:36 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.