May 18, 2008

Netflix Hired Me!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Anthony Park @ 7:03 pm

Back in February, I received this email from a Netflix email address:

“Hi Anthony,

We have heard about you and the projects that you are working on :-)

We would love to chat with you!

Call me when you get a free moment.”

The first thing I did was look this person up and make sure they weren’t from the Netflix legal department. After receiving independent confirmation that this person worked for the technical recruiting department, I called the number provided. Heck, I probably would have been happy to talk to the legal department anyways.

So, I had a couple of phone interviews, and then they flew me out to their Los Gatos office for an in-person interview. That went pretty well, and pretty soon they made me an amazing offer. So, my family and I packed everything up and moved out to San Jose, CA. I’m REALLY excited about the kinds of things I’ll be working on, and about working for one of my favorite companies.

So, what will I be working on?

The position I accepted is a research opportunity on a small team trying to build the next generation of the Netflix user experience. I’ll be working directly for Bill Scott, Director of UI Engineering. I’ll be working quickly to prototype and research user interaction models for new platforms for the Netflix service. Netflix intends to get their electronic movie delivery service to every screen hooked up to the internet. Many of those screens will require a very different site experience, and I’ll be part of this small team crafting that experience at Netflix.

Wait, what about MyNetflix?

I’ll continue to work on MyNetflix. I received permission to continue the maintenance and further development of MyNetflix on my own time.

tags: Netflix, MyNetflix

17 Comments

1. Congrats!

You did a great job on my netflix and I’m glad they recognized your talent. Now that you’re on the inside see if you can get them to put it on the 360.

Comment by Tony — May 19, 2008 @ 7:19 am

2. Congratulations! Good things happen to good people!

Comment by Mike Petersen — May 19, 2008 @ 10:38 am

3. Congratulations Anthony! I’m also glad to hear that they’re going to allow you to continue working on MyNetflix ;-) . I wish you the best of luck in your new position!

Comment by Ron F. — May 19, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

4. Contrats! And how cool is it that Netflix is allowing MyNetflix to continue given these circumstances! That says a lot about the company. I know if Microsoft or Apple hired you, this website probably wouldn’t be here :) .

Comment by SeanO — May 20, 2008 @ 12:45 am

5. Congratulations! It sounds like a real-life fairytale which of course has a very happy ending :-)

Comment by jD — May 20, 2008 @ 6:21 am

6. Congratulations!

Comment by Bruce — May 20, 2008 @ 10:33 pm

7. Anthony, congratulations. It’s a great story on so many levels. Most companies would simply sue your pants off rather than recognize talent and opportunity. I’m really looking forward to seeing Netflix provide an even better MCE UI. With these new resources I’m expecting great things! Congrats on the well-earned position.

Comment by Jon — May 22, 2008 @ 8:42 am

8. I’m happy to hear that your hard work and talent are paying off so well. I wish you and your family luck in your new career. I’m glad to hear that MyNetflix will continue to be around, it is the only real reason I decided to stick with Vista MCE versus linux/myth for my media pc.

Now maybe you can get them to support firefox for online viewing!

Once again congratulations and thank you!

Comment by Paul — May 22, 2008 @ 8:51 am

9. Good things happen to those who do good things. Great things happen to those who are “gracious”. You sir, have been VERY GRACIOUS! MyNetFlix is indeed a legacy you can be proud of. Best of luck with everything else (like maybe the Roku), and much success!

Comment by Vince — May 23, 2008 @ 10:08 pm

10. COngrats Anthony! I’ve been away from your site for a while now and I am just learning this great news… Hopefully all is well with you and your family in your new digs… I grew up in San Jose, and I know you’ll love it out there.

I’m a bit surprised that Netflix didn’t offer to buy myNetflix from you so that they can offer it directly to MS Vista users from their site!?! Anyway, I’m glad it will remain supportted by you.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this project.

Comment by Mike Barakatt — June 13, 2008 @ 7:35 pm

11. i’m so happy for you. i thought the legal department was going to rip you a new one. glad to hear they didn’t and that the good people at netflix offered you a job instead. i figure that’s probably why the mynetflix isn’t working… but it doesn’t matter. i’ll keep an eye on your site for updates and keep up with netflix news. hopefully we’ll see a plug in available though netflix created by you. :)

Comment by maharet raider — June 27, 2008 @ 9:31 am

12. Hey Anthony,

I just sent you and email on this as well. It seems the Netflix added some sorting ability to the Watch Now Genres, and My Netflix no longer works correctly when browsing those genres. It only shows 24 items per genre rather than the entire list.

I hope all is well with your new job.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment by Rob — June 30, 2008 @ 6:18 am

13. Congratulations! Glad to see your hard work rewarded, and it’s encouraging that Netflix rewards talent rather than attacking it.

Comment by Paul — July 9, 2008 @ 5:25 am

14. Congrats! If MyNetflix is any indication, we’ll be seeing some good things for the HTPC in the future.

Comment by Steve — July 26, 2008 @ 10:22 am

15. Anthony,

The product you pioneered is now going to be released onto millions of xboxes soon. It’s part of the fall update!
    Isn’t that just friggin awesome?

Comment by Andrew — September 30, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

16. I was so pleased to read about your job offer with Netflix. What a great reward for your hard work. I have been using the ROKU device in one part of my house, but have always wanted my Media Center PC to have this ease of access. I just found out about you today and downloaded you latest version. And what a great story you have! Congratulations on your talent, persistence, and faith!

Comment by Paul E. — January 6, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

17. Man, that is just awesome. You really did great work on the plugin, so the hire was well-deserved. It’s great to hear a success story like this. Congrats!

Comment by Carl — March 3, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.